A simple construction paper crown to suite an emoji theme. Children can have so much fun making, decorating and wearing this adorable "hat"!
- yellow construction paper
- something to color with (if using the B&W template)
- 2-4 pipe cleaners (we used purple)
- tissue paper or kleenex (we used yellow)
- thread (we used white)
- Print template of choice
- Color as necessary (if using the B&W version)
- Cut out the template pieces
- Cut 2 or 3 strips of construction paper about 4" wide and as long as you can make them
- Tape the pieces end to end to make a really long piece.
- Wrap around the child's head to measure how long you need and trim off the excess (don't tape into a circle yet).
- Make 5 or 6 tissue paper flowers and tape to the front of the crown:
- stack 3 or 4 squares of tissue paper on top of each other (size should be about 4"x4")
- fan fold (accordian fold) the tissue paper
- tie tightly in the center with a piece of thread
- separate the layers one at a time
- roll a piece of scotch tape to attach the flower to the front of the crown (long construction paper strip)
- Wrap the pipecleaner around a pencil to make a 'spring' with it. An adult can wrap the first couple loops and then hand it over to the child to finish. (I find that the emojis will be a bit more sturdy if you use 2 pipe cleaners for each emoji. If you want to, twist two pipe cleaners together before wrapping them around the pencil)
- Straighten about 1/2 inch of the top and bottom of the spring (so it's easier to do the taping).
- Repeat with the other pipecleaner.
- Tape an emoji onto the top of each pipecleaner. Flip over and glue or tape the 3rd and 4th emoji onto the back of the 1st and 2nd (to sandwich the pipecleaner in between the emojis).
- Tape both pipecleaners to the long piece of construction paper so they either sit at the front of the head or the sides of the head
- Tape the construction paper ends together to form a crown and put it on!
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).