DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Letter B Butterfly Paper Craft
Grownups probably remember making this cute little fellow when they were little. It is made from two capital letter B's (one a mirror image)
with a body in the middle. It's a good project to do as part of a letter recognition exercise!
You can use the same idea to make a caterpillar with a C, a snake with an S and a worm with a W.
- something to color with,
- printer and paper
- Optional: letter B items to decorate the wings -- my favorite is Bingo Daubers you can add dots with -- you can call the
dots "bubbles" or "blops" to further reinforce the "b" message.
- Print out the template of choice -- you can print the B&W version on colored paper instead of using the color version if you
wish to save ink.
- Color the template pieces (if using the B&W version).
- Cut out the template pieces (young children may need help with this step but these pieces are fairly easy for beginner scissor users to cut out).
- Arrange the B's side by side as wings -- one should be a mirror image of the other.
- Assemble the butterfly:
- Glue the circle (head) to the smaller body oval
- Add the larger body oval to the bottom to complete the body
- Glue the antennas onto the head
- Glue the wings onto either side of the body
- Optional: Decorate the wings with Buttons or Bingo daubers.
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Template 1 (letter B) color or
Template 2 (mirror B) color or
Template 3 (body) color or
Print friendly version of these instructions