DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Wool Pompom Craft
Use scraps of wool to make your own pom poms of any size. This is much less expensive than buying pom poms at the store, is lots of fun and allows you to make pom poms of nearly any color!
Check out the Bird Nest Paper
Plate Craft for just one idea of how to use home made pom poms.
- pen or pencil (to trace with),
- thin cardboard (cereal box),
Print out the template and cut out the donut size of choice.
- Glue or trace the template donut onto a piece of cardboard and cut
it out. Make two of these cardboard donuts.
- Stack the cardboard donuts on top of each other and wrap wool around
them until they are full.
- The more you wrap the wool around the donuts,
the fluffier your pompom will be.
- Tie a knot and cut of the excess string.
- Use your scissors to cut the wool around the outside edges of the
- Slightly separate the two pieces of cardboard and tie a piece of
wool around the pompom between the two cardboard donuts.
- Optional: You can make your own donut without using the templates,
just make sure that the diameter of the outside circle is twice the size
of the diameter of the inside circle.
- Optional: Use a homemade pipecleaner "darning needle" to make
wrapping the wool easier.
Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Donut Template (B&W)