DLTK's Crafts for Kids
This Little Light - About Me Activity
A simple activity to recognize the special traits that we have.
It's a nice activity to do at the end of the year... the candles are
Christmasy and the being proud and letting our "little lights" shine
make great new year's resolutions for young children.
In a classroom, daycare or church setting a group of these make a
nice bulletin board.
You can explain to the children that "traits" are
like little lights that are special to us. They can be things you
can see like your hair colour or your height or they can be inside
things like the sound of your laugh or that you're good at math.
"This Little Light of
Mine" is a simple song you can sing to reinforce this activity.
- glue or tape
- pencil or pen.
- something to colour with (B&W version)
- Print template of choice.
- Color as necessary (if using the B&W version).
- If using the more complicated template, cut out the template pieces
and glue them together to make a candle.
- Print at least one personal trait that you're going to let shine
in the coming year. If the children aren't old enough to
print, you can use the blank page and let them draw a picture.
This little light of
mine, I’m gonna let it shine;
This little light of mine, I’m gonna
let it shine;
This little light of mine, I’m gonna let it shine;
Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine!
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Template (candle pieces) (color)
plus one of:
Template (lined for learning) (color)
Template (lined page) (color)
Template (blank page) (color)
Print friendly version of these instructions