This is a fun way to practice some different water color painting techniques and create a creative rainbow. This craft is great for many different occasions or just for fun!
- white paper (water color paint warps paper, so the thicker the paper the better; special water color paper works the best but printer paper would be okay too),
- pencil and eraser,
- water color paint
- Print the rainbow shape template and trace it onto a piece of paper or draw a simple rainbow shape free-hand. If you're working with a group of kids you can make a cardboard template or two, so that they can take turns tracing onto pieces of white paper.
- Trace the lines of the rainbows inside the shape, you can choose to do more or less lines or none at all. Younger children may need assistance free-hand drawing these lines.
- Start painting each rainbow line different colors. Children can choose to follow the color pattern of a rainbow (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple) or they can be as creative as they like!
- Try using different Water Color Painting Techniques to paint each line of the Rainbow. Let each line of the rainbow dry before continuing to the next so the different colors don't run.
- Let the paint dry completely and then cut out the rainbow shape.
- Optional: Write a message, a poem, or a goal onto the back of the water color rainbow.
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).