When I was younger sweet potato fries were my biggest weakness, but I have decided to turn them into my biggest strength! These delicious cajun-spiced sweet potato wedges go fantastic with a simple guacamole dip. I love this as an afternoon snack and look forward to it all day. It is chalk-full of healthy fats and carbohydrates and is incredibly yummy—the perfect combination!
For the Wedges!
- 2 sweet potatoes
- drizzle of olive oil
- 1 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 2 tsp paprika
- pinch of chilli powder
- 2-3 tsp dried herbs (I use a mixture of oregano, basil, thyme, rosemary, parsley, and sage)
For the Guacamole!
- 1 avocado
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion granules
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
For the Wedges!
- Prepare a baking tray with parchment paper or non-stick spray.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/390F.
- Scrub the sweet potatoes under cold water to remove the dirt.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into wedge shapes, about 8 wedges per sweet potato. (Cut it in half first and then cut each half into four wedges with the flat side down to keep it stable.)
- On a small plate mix together the brown sugar and seasonings.
- Drizzle a bit of olive oil onto the sweet potato wedges and then rub it in so that the wedges are all covered. (Don't worry about the skin side of the wedges, just rub the oil into the orange parts.)
- Coat the sweet potatoes in the seasoning mixture. You can rub in the seasoning a little bit with your fingers to coat the wedges evenly.
- Place the wedges on the baking sheet with the skin sides down.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
For the Gaucamole!
- Cut an avocado in half and remove the pit. Scoop the flesh of the avocado into a bowl.
- Squeeze a juice of a lemon into the bowl.
- Add the seasoning and the chilli flakes. (I've suggested my favourite seasonings in the ingredients list but you can get creative with different seasonings if you would like.)
- Mash all of the ingredients together with a fork.
Serve the wedges on a plate with the guacamole. Squeeze a bit of extra lemon juice on the wedges, dip and enjoy!
Makes a tasty snack for 2!