- Beat shortening in a large mixing bowl with and electric mixer on medium for 30 seconds.
- Add sugar, cocoa powder and baking powder then beat until combined.
- Dissolve coffe crystals in water
- Add coffee, eggs and vanilla then beat until combined
- Beat in as much flour as you can with the mixer and stir in the remaining flour and pecan with a wooden spoon.
- Cover and chill for 1 or 2 hours (to make it easy to handle).
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls and place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Make an indentation with your thumb at the top of each cookie.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are set.
- Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool.
- Fill centers with Mud Pie frosting
- Beat 1/3 cup softened butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla with and electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds.
- Slowly beat in 1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder and the first 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar.
- Add 2 tablespoons milk.
- Gradually beat the second 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar and enough milk (1 to 3 tablespoons) to make a spreading consistency.
- Stir in 1/3 cup of miniature semi-sweet chocolate pieces.
Return to the recipes Main Page