USA Crafts: [Bald Eagles] [Flag Day] [Presidents and Uncle Sam] [Wreaths] [Other USA Crafts]
DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Can Hat Coin Bank
Make this great little coffee can hat and use it to collect spare change for
your favorite patriotic American charity.
- coffee can with lid
- red, white and blue acrylic paint
- paint brushes
- thin cardboard, cardstock or blue construction paper
- utility knife
- Optional: white spray paint
- Optional: Have an adult spray paint the entire can white
beforehand to save time. It can be tricky to paint the plastic lid and
metal can. Spray painting ahead of time will make the painting easier and faster for the
- Paint the can white (except for the bottom) if it was not done ahead of
- Paint the top of the can blue.
Paint wide red stripes around the can.
- Paint a white star on the top of the can. You could cut one from
paper and then trace it on the lid before painting it. Check out our
instructions for folding and cutting a
five point star or print our template and cut out one of the stars.
- ADULT HELP PLEASE! Cut a small slit in the plastic lid large
enough for coins using the utility knife.
- Trace a plate that is larger than the bottom of the can onto the
cardboard, cardstock or construction paper and then cut it out.
- Paint one side of the cardstock blue if you did not use blue construction
- Glue the bottom of the can to the middle of the cardstock to complete
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).