DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Make a Spear
The tip is made from styrofoam for safety.
You can also make the African Mask to go with this project.
- cardboard gift wrap roll
- styrofoam meat tray
- brown, black or grey paint
- OPTIONAL: Paper Mache -- visit "How to Paper Mache" for the recipe
- OPTIONAL: a second color of paint for decoration
- Cut the gift wrap roll all the way up the length (so it isn't a roll anymore.
- Reroll it as tight as you can (I found that rolling it on a diagonal worked best).
- Tape it tightly with masking tape (tape you can paint over) if you aren't paper macheing. Any kind of tape will do if you are paper macheing.
- At this point, you can just paint it brown, black or grey.
- OR, you can paper mache the project. The Paper Mache will make the craft MUCH sturdier. It is the method we chose.
- paper mache (2 layers) the shield and all of the face pieces.
- let dry
- cover with a final layer of scrap white paper mache
- let dry
- visit "How to Paper Mache" for tips on paper macheing.
- Cut a spear shape from a piece of styrofoam. Don't make the end too pointy.
- Tape it onto the end of the shaft.
(if the end breaks, you can just cut out another one.)
Print friendly version of these instructions