DLTK's Countries and Cultures - India
Diwali Diya Paper Craft
Contributed by Leanne Guenther
Sunita, one of our viewers, writes: The Indian New Year is Diwali and we celebrate good over evil by lighting rows of lamps or
'diyas'. Thanks Sunita!
A Diwali Diya is a small lamp that is lit especially at Diwali (New Year's in India). Diyas are typically made of clay with Ghee or oil used
as the fuel and cotton wool as the wick.
- something to color with (B&W version).
- Print out the template of choice
- Color the template pieces as desired
- Cut out the template pieces (adults may need to help with this step).
- Glue together your diya:
- flame goes on the tip of the lantern
- lid goes on the top of the lantern
- handle goes under the side of the lantern
- eyes positioned (centered) under the lid and above the mouth
- nose positioned under the eyes and above the mouth
Print the Template:
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Print friendly version of these instructions