VIEW ARCHIVED DISCUSSIONS

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Birthdays (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 DLTK's Discussion Group : Birthdays
Subject Topic: Shrek Birthday Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
LBC's Mum
Novice
Novice

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 01 November 2005 at 6:18pm | IP Logged Quote LBC's Mum

My son is turning three in about three weeks, and is mad about Shrek. We are hoping to have a Shrek Party. Any ideas? Also I want to try to MAKE a dragon pinata but don't really no where to start. (My son has just started kindergarten and I have lots of time)

Thanks

batraylover
Master
Master

Posted: 02 November 2005 at 2:55pm | IP Logged Quote batraylover

Hi! We did a Shrek Party, the people at the party were quite a bit older then 3 (7-24), and it was a sleepover, but maybe you can use some of the basic ideas. We went to see Shrek 2 in the theater, did not have a pinata, and had a store bought cake.

First, I would suggest that you visit the Shrek section of the DLTK website. LINK The Donkey and Shrek toilet paper roll crafts are easy enough for young children; it would be cool to make the birthday child (or every child, depending on how many are attending the party) a t-shirt using the Shrek Iron On Transfers. The coloring pages come in both black and white, which are great to set out on tables with crayons for guests who arrive early, as well as color which are great to hang up on the wall as posters, and can even be laminated. The gingerbread man craft would be really cute as a "room border" for a decoration to have it going all the way around the party room.

Next, check out Amazing Mom's, for lots of great ideas for a Shrek 2 themed party. LINK

It's A Party-Ful Life also has Shrek ideas. LINK

Another great resource for Shrek parties is the HP Creative website. They have an entire Shrek section that has everything from party hats to posters, and even coasters. It's actually the HP Singapore site that has the Shrek Printables at this time. HP USA took their printables off when Shrek was not the big movie in theaters anymore. I am not sure how easy the Singapore site will be to navigate, and they do not have everything the USA site had. LINK I have picture frames, stationary, postcards, bookcovers, book plates, door hangers, light switch covers, scrapbook kit, photo cube, character mobile, stencils, signs, movie posters, iron on transfers, masks, greeting cards, thank you notes, invitations, gift tags, gift box, placemats, coasters, party hats, window clings, signs, diorama, finger puppets, ogre cards, and Shrek-Nology (science projects), e-mail me from my website (in my signature) if you are interested or visit the parties section of my website.

As for a dragon pinata, my experience with pinata's has been that if you are actually going to fill them with candy, you either have to have tons of time and patience, or you should just buy a store bought one. I have seen dragon ones online for as low as $9.99, so it may be worth just purchasing one. Maybe pinata making is not for everyone, lol.LINK

I believe I posted some of this information on the Birthday Party Ideas site, but I will post it again here:
Games
Swamp Hop - similar to musical chairs. Cut out the basic shape of a lilly pad, set on floor in circle, you need lilly pad for each child, minus one. Put the lilly pads in a circle, when the music starts, kids hop from lilly pad to lilly pad and when the music stops they have to be standing on a lilly pad. Remove one lilly pad each time until last lilly pad is in, whoever is on the lilly pad when the music stops wins.

Pin the Tail on Donkey - enlarge a coloring page (or pre-colored poster) from the Shrek section on DLTK then cut out a tail from gray construction paper, or make tails out of gray yarn or string. Play like pin the tail on Donkey.

Pin the Ears on Shrek - follow instructions for Pin the Tail on Donkey, only substitute a picture of Shrek.

Activities
Fly-Swatter game craft - use the pattern for the Squished Bugs craft found at Making Friends in the bug crafts section. Once you have all of the pieces cut out (we used the colored version), make the fly swatter by cutting off the bendable neck of a drinking straw, and taping it to the inside of one of the fly swatter pieces, then tape the two fly-swatter pieces together. Attach a large square of Velcro to one side of the fly-swatter. Then let kids create their own bugs using the bug pattern pieces, and put a square of Velcro on each finished bug, children then swat at the bugs and attempt to pick them up with the fly-swatter.

Shrek and Donkey toilet paper roll crafts - use the patterns in the Shrek section at DLTK to make a Shrek and Donkey toilet paper roll craft

Shrek Pizza - Use the bug pizza pattern (called Yucky Pizza) on and let the kids make their own Shrek pizza.

Or, let the kids make an edible pizza by giving each child a fruit roll up (pizza crust), eye ball gum balls, gummy bugs, and various other gross candies.

I was shocked by the prices of Shrek party favors at the store, I opted to fill goody bags with the following items instead of the Shrek themed party favors: bug stickers, green apple Sour Punch Straws candy, Sour Brite Crawlers gummy worms, lime green feather pens with glitter, lime green happy face bendables, Watermelon (lime green cap) Push Pops candy, Sweet Tarts candy in lime green packages, Shrek fruit snacks, Pixie stick 3 packs with bug stickers on them, mini M&M's in lime green containers, lime green mini address book key chains, lime green mini funny face key chains, green frog sound key chains, Shrek body wash with water squirter by Dial, lime green mini fan necklaces with flashlights, lime green glow wands, Sweet Tart gummy bugs, Fun Dip 3 pack candy (lime green package), lime green rock candy, and a Shrek burned cd (songs taken from the Shrek sound track) with a printable Shrek label.

Birthday Party Ideas has other Shrek party ideas as well:
Ideas

More Ideas

Shrek 2 Party 3yr Ideas

Shrek 2 Party 6yr Ideas

Shrek Royal Ball Ideas

Even More Shrek Ideas

Shrek Cake Idea Or put some Shrek toys (such as the small Mc Donalds size toys) on a rectangle cake that you have frosted. Or, cover a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, sprinkle with crushed Oreos or similiar cookies, and then stick gummy bugs (worms, caterpillars, flies, etc) on the cake to make a swamp. You could also stick character toys in the swampy mud. One word of warning about Shrek Cakes, some of the grocery stores have a Shrek 2 cake that is bright green and bright orange and has a Donkey and Shrek toy on top of it that are connected (a little plastic toy with wheels). At least from the grocery store that we ordered from, the frosting was so rich in taste (too much coloring used, for those bright neon colors) that we had to take a knife and scrape off the frosting. And those that didn't scrape up the frosting had stomach ache's later. I saw similiar cakes at grocery stores, and even ice cream places, all with the same over processed "neon frosting".

Hope this helps!
Back to Top View batraylover's Profile Search for other posts by batraylover

batraylover
Master
Master

Posted: 02 November 2005 at 3:01pm | IP Logged Quote batraylover

YIKES! The links got all messed up on that one. Why the big paragraph has a link, I have no idea. My apologies for the inconvenience, there is no way to edit the post.

LBC's Mum
Novice
Novice

Posted: 05 November 2005 at 1:44am | IP Logged Quote LBC's Mum

WOW! Thank you for all that information. Have visited a lot of the links and got some good ideas. Here's hoping all goes according to plan and everyone enjoys themselves.

Thanks Again.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version