VIEW ARCHIVED DISCUSSIONS

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 DLTK's Discussion Group : General
Subject Topic: sunday school lesson ideas Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
youngteacher
Novice
Novice

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 22 June 2006 at 12:16pm | IP Logged Quote youngteacher

Hi my name is Crystal and I'm a new and scared sunday school teache. You see the thing is I'm 16(young i know thats what your thinking) and im teaching children from 5-9. I need ideas that will keep there attention while also spreading the wonderful news of gods word. Please any ideas would be helpfull. Thanks for your time.

emmapanti
Master
Master

Posted: 22 June 2006 at 5:25pm | IP Logged Quote emmapanti

Crystal,

There are several ideas out there for lesson plans. So, I'm not sure which direction you want to take.

As far as teaching effectively, here are some things I usually try to incorporate.

1) Get the kids involved in the discussion. Make sure that when you are discussing a principle, that you ask questions to make sure they understand, as well as to involve them. When you get their minds thinking, they learn a lot more from the lessons than if they just sit and listen. For example, if you are doing a lesson on The Golden Rule, you might ask a simple question, like "How do you feel when someone isn't nice to you?" Accept all answers. Be sure to thank everyone for sharing a comment. If the given answer is way off, then simply say, "Thank you for sharing that." and move on.

2) Assign Jursidictions. Give each member of the class something to do. Maybe one person is the attandance taker. Someone else could be the helper, to pass out crayons, etc. Another could be the prayer giver. And maybe even another for line leader if you go to get a drink or something. Make sure to give everyone a chance to participate. If there are more kids than duties, then use a chart and rotate.

3) Make & Take: I always try to have the kids make something to take home at the end of the lesson. This serves a few purposes. A) It keeps their hands busy, and again, kids like to participate. B) It gives them a sense of accomplishment. C) It shows the parents what you have been teaching, and allows the parent to follow up with the child at home. My mom would always ask: "What did you learn today in Sunday School?" And we would remember. Make & Takes do not always have to be a craft. In fact, in most cases, a simple coloring sheet that coincides with the lesson theme is sufficient.

4) Reward System. Decide if you would like to use a reward system. Some teachers use stickers. Others fill a jar full or marbles or beans. Decide what the reward will be. For example, maybe you issued a challenge to memorize a scripture verse. You can do little rewards for scripture mastery like a book mark, a small candy bar, or little toy. Or you could issue a bigger challenge, such as each Sunday put a marble in the jar for good behavior. When the jar is full, have an ice cream party.

5) Treats. Depending on the parents and church building rules, you may decide that you want to have treats for your class. Keep in mind things such as peanut allergies. Ask the parents first if they are ok with this. Also, if you do not have a budget, maybe ask the parents if you could do a rotation of treats, giving each child a turn to bring something to share. Encourage healthy snacks. If you decide, however, that you want to bring treats only once in a while, you could something bigger than a few crackers. One of my favorite treats was when a Sunday School teacher brought in Warm Monkey Bread!!! Also, if you do treats, see if there are any that would coincide with the lesson. For example, if the lesson is on Noah's Ark, bring animal crackers.

6) Get To Know the Students. One thing that some of the teachers in our church do when they get a new class is to do a home visit. My son's teacher did 10 minute visits with each member of her new class. She brought along a picture of Jesus for each child, and a little treat. This makes the students feel like you do love them, and they are more willing to listen on Sundays.

7) Games & Activities. Be sure to include little games every now and then, to keep the kid's interest. Make sure that it enhances the lesson and not takes the place of the lesson. But maybe a matching game of Old Testament Prophets, or a "Fishers of Men" fishing game. Kids also enjoy learning little poems or songs that go along with the lesson. When the weather is warm, I remember our Sunday School teacher taking us for a walk outside and sitting in the shade on the grass for our lesson. That was a nice special treat too.

8) Be Friendly! Remember to smile. Be warm and inviting. When you see any of the kids outside of the class, make sure you go out of your way to say hi. This lets them know that you care for them. Then when you teach the lessons, they realize it is for them.

Hopefully these ideas will be helpful. If you do not have a lesson manual provided by your church, then here are some links that can give you good lesson ideas. Good Luck! The Lord will surely bless you in this calling...just ask!

DLTKs Bible Lesson Plans
LDS Primary Lessons/Choose the Right
eBibleTeacher/children
Applesauce kids Sunday School Lessons
Childrens Sunday School Resources

batraylover
Master
Master

Posted: 22 June 2006 at 5:48pm | IP Logged Quote batraylover

Hi Crystal,
I started working with children in various capacities (baby-sitting, in preschool settings, and in day care settings) at the age of 11. At the age of 16, I was helping full time in a Sunday school classroom, as well as filling in for the main teacher when she was unable to teach. I worked primarily with the pre-kindergarten age group in Sunday school but have worked with kids from infants to pre-teens in age. The first thing to remember is that God calls you into the position of being a Sunday school, and if it is your calling, it doesn't matter if you are 10 or 110 if you are doing His work.

The Bible says in 1 Timothy 4:12 "Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity." Memorize that verse, ingrain it in your mind, and always approach Sunday mornings with the "I can do this I'm going to be great, I'm going to blow them out of the water, I can do this with God" attitude, and you will do just fine. The "where to start" part of teaching Sunday school is probably the most overwhelming part. If your church provides curriculum, wonderful, get a copy of it, see what you can work with, and what you can't, and fill in the empty spaces with ideas from books, magazines, or the Internet. If your church is not providing you with curriculum, here are a few places online, where you can get some ideas to help you get started:
DLTK BIBLE
A KIDS HEART
BIBLE KIDS FUN ZONE
SUNDAY SCHOOL SOURCES
CALVARY CHAPEL NEW TESTAMENT CURRICULUM
CALVARY CHAPEL OLD TESTAMENT CURRICULUM
CHILDREN'S BIBLE STUDIES
SUNDAY SCHOOL TEACHER'S RESOURCES
CHRISTIAN CRAFTER'S
CHURCH CRAFTS AND ACTIVITIES
DANIELLE'S PLACE
KID EXPLORERS
KID'S SUNDAY SCHOOL PLACE
PUPPET RESOURCES
SUNDAY SCHOOL RESOURCES

Of course this isn't a complete listing of what's available on the Internet; these are just some of the websites that I have found the most helpful.

5-9 year olds may or may not already know the basic Bible stories (Noah's Ark, David and Goliath, Daniel and the Lion's Den, etc), or they may not. Always teach a Bible story as though the kids have never heard it before, and know nothing about it, in case there are any first time visitors to the classroom, they will not feel lost or left out. 5-9 year olds begin to develop a need for small group activities, and breaking the class down into groups of 4-6 kids while learning memory verses, talking about the week, and having prayer can help them develop the skills they will need later as they progress thru your churches Sunday School program. Kids this age should also be encouraged to start attending church services with their parents, be taught the type of behavior they should have during service, learn about helping others thru mission projects or otherwise to begin giving back to their community, learn the importance of daily Bible reading and time with God, learn the importance of praying not only for themselves but for others, as well as learning how to be responsible for their own Bible, and have respect for other people's belongings.

If you get lost, or still need more ideas, feel free to visit my website (it's listed in my signature) and contact me directly!

Hope this helps!

MsFun
Novice
Novice

Posted: 27 June 2006 at 9:17pm | IP Logged Quote MsFun

I suggest getting good multi age curriculum. This gives you a springboard to work from. We use Kids POWer Hour by Word Aflame Publications. It has great ideas.

Also - try to attend training sessions in your area. You will learn many things that will help you.
Back to Top View MsFun's Profile Search for other posts by MsFun

sparky
Novice
Novice

Posted: 23 July 2006 at 2:49pm | IP Logged Quote sparky

Hi Chrystal,
   You might try sermons4kids.com I use it all the time. They even email you a lesson every week. it has the lesson and some pages coloring or word finds to go with it. It is great and easy to use. It is especially great for that 8 and 9 year old group as the workd finds etc. are a little more fun for them.
Back to Top View sparky's Profile Search for other posts by sparky

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version