Our site has loads of free printables for use at a Wizard of Oz themed Birthday Party, including cards, coloring pages and crafts. Many of these are needed for every party and many of the others make great treat bag additions or even gifts for the birthday boy or girl. Check out our Wizard of Oz Section for all of these and more.
But we all know there's more to a party
than things you print out! Here are some ideas to fill in the gaps:
- Make a BINGO game using pictures, signs or words from the series.
One viewer suggests:
- Emerald Green and Ruby Red streamers and balloons would work well with the wizard of oz theme.
The purchase of one appropriately shaped cookie cutter can go a long way!
- I made slipper or heart (tinman's) shaped Peanut Butter & Jelly (make sure the guests aren't allergic!), egg salad, & bologna/cheese sandwiches, slipper or heart shaped cookies with red frosting, slipper or heart shaped red Jell-O jigglers (make a big cookie sheet of jello jiggler and cut out once set).
- The children can decorate their cookies with icing and sprinkles as a food activity.
- Glue small images (from coloring pages or clipart) onto toothpicks. Let dry. Stick in the top of cupcakes for an instant theme party treat!
- Remember in the story when Dorothy and the Scarecrow were fighting with the apple trees? That's about when they discovered the Tinman.
Cut apples into slices. Get a small heart shaped cookie cutter. Use it to cut the apple slices into heart shapes (the Tin man wants a heart) and call then "Tinman Treats"
- Take a large round cracker. This will be the lion's head
Cut a small triangle nose and ears out of processed cheese and place in the center of the lion's head.
Cut two sliced ham eyes and put them on the head.
Use ketchup to draw a mouth under the triangle nose.
Wicked Witch of the West Snacks:
One thought I had would be to do a few Wicked Witch of the West snacks... there are a lot of snack ideas for witches out there (halloween)
Here are a few:
Witch's fingers (chicken nuggets) /crafts/halloween/recipes/witchfingers.html
Witch's brew (drink): /crafts/halloween/recipes/witchbrew.html
Witch's broomstick: /crafts/halloween/recipes/witchbroom.html
Witch's hat: /crafts/halloween/recipes/witchhat.html