DLTK's Crafts for Kids
This simple project can be worn by the children after it's been
created. Great for a multitude of themes and celebrations. Use
different colors appropriate for the theme or the child's preferences.
- thin cardboard (poster board or old cereal boxes work well)
- foil gift wrap or construction paper
- Paint, crayons, or felt-tip pens
- Optional: stickers, markers, glitter, shapes cut from constructionpaper
- Cut a strip of cardboard long enough to go around your head and
- you may need to staple two pieces together to make it long enough.
- The strip should be 3 or 4 inches wide and long enough to go around the head
- Cut a piece of construction paper or foil gift wrap the same length but slightly wider (2 inches or so wider)
- again you might need to staple two pieces together to make it long enough
- Glue the construction paper to the cardboard so the bottom edge lines up
- Cut a zigzag in the top edge of the construction paper
- Note: the reason I make the construction paper wider is that I found it difficult for the children to cut the zigzag edge from the cardboard. With the wider construction paper, they can just cut the zig zag through the paper
- Decorate the paper side (not the cardboard side) using markers, glitter or stickers
- Make a ring with the cardboard facing in (toward the head) and the paper facing out and staple to make a crown - adult assistance required for this step.