DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Simple Paper Bag Pinata
This is a very simple version of a Pinata making it a suitable craft
to do with large groups of children. It's a lot less messy than
The one in the photo was made by my 8 year
old. Age 3+ could make this craft.
- paper lunch bag
- candy or other treats
- different colors of tissue paper
- hole punch,
- Put candy or treats into the paper bag
- Scrunch up a piece of newspaper and put it in the bag. Repeat until
the bag is full, with the newspaper about 1 inch below the top of the bag (we
need the inch so we can close the bag later).
- Cut strips of tissue paper 3 to 6 inches wide and long enough to wrap
around the bag (the wider you cut the strips, the quicker the craft
- Fringe the strips by using your scissors to cut about 1/2 way up each
strip, 1 to 4 inches apart
- Glue the strips around the bag, starting at the BOTTOM -- only glue the
uncut part, don't get any glue on the fringes.
- When you glue on the second strip, overlap it so it comes about to where
you cut the fringe.
- Repeat until you've covered the entire bag again leaving
about 1 inch free at the top.
- Punch holes all the way around the top of the bag.
- Lace a piece of string or wool around the holes and pull
tight (You may need to pull out a bit of your newspaper or add a bit extra
at this point). Tie in a loop so you can hang it
- Cut 4 or 5 long strips of tissue paper and glue them to the
bottom of the bag as streamers.
- When all the children have made their pinatas, you can hang
them up for decorations OR you can let them whack their bag with a stick
until their candy falls out
- be very careful that they don't hit each other...
- I use skipping ropes, to rope off a small circle inside
a large circle.
- The stick (and whoever is using it) stays inside the
small circle. When the person's done using it, they have to put
the stick down inside the small circle before they go back to the
- The audience stays outside the large circle
- At most parties, remembering the rules of the circles
becomes as much of a game for the kids as whacking the pinata.
Print friendly version of these instructions