DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Paper Bag Owl Craft
Contributed by Leanne Guenther
The owl is found in many stories and songs and is also great
for a Halloween or forests theme.
Check out the following Nursery Rhymes to go along with your craft:
- a paper lunch bag,
- a printer,
- some crayons,
- paper for the printer
Print the Template:
- Print out the template of choice (color or b&w)
- Color (as required) and cut out the template pieces.
Get Familiar with Your Paper Bag:
- I'm going to walk through this slowly.
Look at your paper bag.
- It should be closed and flat like a piece
of paper. Just like when they are brand new.
- On one side, it's all smooth. This will
of your puppet
- It's important that all the kids get the
back and front straight at the beginning!
- On the other side there's a flippy tab (which
is typically the bottom of the bag when you're carrying your lunch around...)
- This flippy tab will be the HEAD
- Lift the flippy tab up a bit. Underneath
of the tab will be the mouth,
- When the child puts her hand in the bag,
she'll be able to make the puppet talk.
- Look at the rest of the front of the bag.
(The 3/4 or so of the bag below the part with the flippy tab)
This will be the BODY.
- Look at the sides of the bag. There
should be a
- We'll be slipping the wings into this
- If the kids goof and glue the wings onto
the front or back of the bag, it isn't a big deal.
- OK, now that we're comfy with our bags, let's
Assemble your puppet:
- Glue the large triangle to the top
- Glue the eyes onto the
slightly overlapping the triangle. If you like, you can use wiggly
eyes instead of the paper template pieces.
- Glue the beak under the eyes.
It will likely hang down over a little
bit of the
Make sure you just put glue on top of the beak (where it touches
so you don't end up gluing the mouth shut.
- Glue the second beak into the mouth.
When the mouth is closed you shouldn't see this second triangle.
When the puppet's mouth is open you will.
- Glue the wings into the
- Glue the tummy onto the
- Glue the feet onto the bottom of the
- Glue the tail onto the
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Print friendly version of these instructions