The owl is found in many stories and songs and is also great for a Halloween or forests theme.
Check out the following Nursery Rhymes to go along with your craft:
- a paper lunch bag,
- a printer,
- some crayons,
- paper for the printer
- big wiggly eyes.
Print the Template:
- Print out the template of choice (color or b&w)
- Color (as required) and cut out the template pieces.
Get Familiar with Your Paper Bag:
- I'm going to walk through this slowly. Look at your paper bag.
- It should be closed and flat like a piece of paper. Just like when they are brand new.
- On one side, it's all smooth. This will
of your puppet
- It's important that all the kids get the back and front straight at the beginning!
- On the other side there's a flippy tab (which
is typically the bottom of the bag when you're carrying your lunch around...)
- This flippy tab will be the HEAD
- Lift the flippy tab up a bit. Underneath
of the tab will be the mouth,
- When the child puts her hand in the bag, she'll be able to make the puppet talk.
- Look at the rest of the front of the bag. (The 3/4 or so of the bag below the part with the flippy tab) This will be the BODY.
- Look at the sides of the bag. There
should be a
- We'll be slipping the wings into this flap.
- If the kids goof and glue the wings onto the front or back of the bag, it isn't a big deal.
- OK, now that we're comfy with our bags, let's craft!
Assemble your puppet:
- Glue the large triangle to the top of the HEAD
- Glue the eyes onto the HEAD slightly overlapping the triangle. If you like, you can use wiggly eyes instead of the paper template pieces.
- Glue the beak under the eyes. It will likely hang down over a little bit of the BODY. Make sure you just put glue on top of the beak (where it touches the HEAD) so you don't end up gluing the mouth shut.
- Glue the second beak into the mouth. When the mouth is closed you shouldn't see this second triangle. When the puppet's mouth is open you will.
- Glue the wings into the FLAP.
- Glue the tummy onto the BODY.
- Glue the feet onto the bottom of the
- Glue the tail onto the BACK.
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).