We used cotton balls to make this cute little chick, but you could substitute pom pom's.
- two cotton balls
- egg carton cup
- orange construction paper scrap
- two small wiggly eyes
- a tiny bit of yellow tempra paint or food color drops
- ziploc or other plastic bag
- The night before making the craft, put a bit of yellow tempra paint or yellow food color in a plastic bag. Add a bit of water. Don't use too much paint or your cotton balls will be crusty. Just a wee bit will do.
- Add as many cotton balls as you'll be using (if you're making more than one chick) and smush gently until they soak up the yellow. -- yes, smush is a technical craft term *grin*
- Dump them out onto a piece of wax paper or Aluminum foil to dry over night (or into an empty margarine container
- Cut the egg carton cup out of the egg carton.
- Trim small rectangles out around the edge so it looks like a cracked egg shell
- Dab a bit of glue into the bottom of the egg carton and insert one of the cotton balls for the chick body
- Dab a bit of glue and put the second cotton ball on top of the first
- Fold the construction paper in half and cut a triangle along the fold (so it looks like a diamond when unfolded). Glue this beak onto the chick
- Glue the wiggly eyes on as well
- We made ours so it looked like the chick was facing up to the sky (like a hungry chick). This had the added benefit of keeping the wiggly eyes from sliding off while they dried.