DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Paper Mache Giraffe
- empty frozen juice container
empty soup can (no sharp edges).
- Optional: popsicle stick
- black marker
- yellow and brown paint
- cotton ball
- paper mache paste (1 part flour to 5 parts water... Boil about 3 minutes and let cool)
+ strips of newspaper and white paper
- Print template (giraffe head, neck and legs.
- Trace pieces onto a piece of cardboard (thin cardboard works ok but
corrugated cardboard is better).
- Cut out the cardboard pieces.
- Optional: Tape or glue a popsicle stick to the neck piece to make it stronger
- Paper mache the can and the template pieces (cover with 2 layers newspaper).
- Let dry (takes about a day for the paper mache to dry).
- Tape or glue the pieces onto the can.
- Paper mache the giraffe with strips of white paper or paper towel (the white paper is easier to paint than the newspaper).
- Let dry.
- Paint the entire giraffe with yellow paint
- Let dry.
- Dip the cotton ball into the brown paint and splat some dots onto the giraffe.
- Draw a face with black marker (or use wiggly eyes).
- Add a couple of pencils for a great gift from the kids!
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE,
PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Print friendly version of these instructions