DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Dog Bone Birthday Cake
You can use this cake for dog themed birthday parties (Clifford the
Big Red Dog, Blue's Clues, Scooby Doo, etc.) or you can feed it to the
human guests at your pet's party.
This makes a nice BIG cake
- something to set the cake on -- we made our own cake board by duct taping
sheets of thick cardboard together (we used box lids for this) -- this was
daddy's part of the process. We then covered with Aluminum foil (you could
also cover with a waxy or shiny gift wrap.
- 9 x 13 or 8 x 11 (any rectangular shaped) baking pan. If you don't
want such a huge cake, you can actually use a square pan... You'll just have
a shorter bone.
- 4 round cake pans (or use 2 round cake pans and do your baking twice)
- 3 cake mixes (whatever flavour/recipe you prefer). You don't have to
have all the same flavour if you don't want too. You can make a white
rectangle cake and chocolate round cakes.
- 4 containers of chocolate icing (or you can make colored bones -- a blue
one for Blue's Clues or a red one for Clifford with white icing and food
color paste) You'll likely have icing left over, but I like to make
sure I have enough.
- OPTIONAL: Fruit by the Foot (fruit roll up)
Print friendly version of these instructions