DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Alphabet Caterpillars Paper Crafts
This is a simple cut and paste paper craft good "just for fun", alphabet practice, spelling practice, an insects theme, or an animals theme.
There are different types of caterpillars you can make: Lower Case Alphabet, Upper Case Alphabet, Spelling Words,
The pieces for this craft are fairly large (there are three pieces on each page -- making the entire alphabet takes 5 pages). This looks
terrific on something like a school bulletin board, but can be a bit large for small individual projects.
If you would like to do a smaller alphabet caterpillar, make your own small circle template from a piece of cardboard or margarine container lid.
Allow the children to trace this onto pieces of construction paper and allow them to print the letter on the piece. Add wiggly eyes and pom
pom antennas for a cute face!
- something to colour with if using the B&W version,
- Print out the templates of choice:
- If you're doing the entire alphabet, you just print one of every sheet (you can print different colors out if you want to pattern as well).
- If you're letting the children make up words, print three or four copies of each page. You can print the B&W version on different
colors of construction paper to let the children make patterns and unique caterpillars.
- When doing words, you can spell anything you like (names, weekdays, etc) but I particularly like doing "caterpillar themed" words
(antenna, caterpillar, leaves, insect, butterfly, etc) after learning about caterpillars then putting them up on the bulletin board to make your own
themed word wall.
- Colour (where appropriate) and cut out the template pieces.
- Glue the caterpillar together.
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Lower Case Alphabet:
Upper Case Alphabet:
Print friendly version of these instructions