I have a bad habit of neglecting to do the old standards with my girls... I always want to do something 'new and exciting' with them. I forget that when you're in preschool, everything is new and exciting. Kaitlyn LOVED this craft -- I guess that's why it's an old standard.
Very young (age 2) children will enjoy painting the caterpillar, but will need help adding the antenna.
- cardboard egg carton
- green tempra paint
- paint brush
- pipe cleaner (chenille)
- sharp pencil
- wiggly eyes, 2 cheerios or 2 fruit loops
- Cut one strip of cups (6 cups) from the egg carton -- adults can do this before craft time.
- Paint the cups green and let dry
- using a sharp pencil, poke two holes in the top of the first cup -- again, adults should do this step.
- from inside the cup, poke both ends of the pipe cleaner through the pencil holes (one end through each hole).
- Wrap the ends of the pipe cleaner around the pencil to make it curly
- Glue the wiggly eyes onto the head (you could substitute 2 cheerios or 2 fruit loops)