[Bumblebees] [Butterflies] [Caterpillars] [Dragonflies] [Ladybugs] [Spiders] [Other]
DLTK's Crafts for Kids
A simple construction paper 'hat' the kids have fun making, decorating and wearing! Great for birthday parties.
- red and black construction paper
- 2 pipe cleaners (we used black)
- Cut 4 hearts from black or red construction paper (that's what we'll
put at the top of the pipecleaners). This is a good opportunity to
show the children how to fold paper in half to make a perfect heart.
- Cut 2 or 3 strips of red construction paper about 4" wide and as long as you can make them.
- Tape the pieces end to end to make a really long piece.
- Wrap around the child's head to measure how long you need and trim off the excess (don't tape into a circle yet).
- Cut circles out of black construction paper. Children can use a
white pencil crayon and round object (baby food jar lids work well) to trace
circles onto the paper and then cut them out, or you can just cut your circles freehand.
Wrap the pipecleaner around a pencil to make a 'spring' with
it. An adult can wrap the first couple loops and then hand it
over to the child to finish.
- Straighten about 1/2 inch of the top and bottom of the spring (so it's easier to do the taping).
- Repeat with the other pipecleaner.
- Tape a heart onto the top of each pipecleaner. Flip over and glue
or tape the 3rd and 4th heart onto the back of the 1st and 2nd (to
sandwich the pipecleaner in between the hearts).
- Tape both pipecleaners to the long piece of construction paper so they either sit at the front of the head or the sides of the head
- Tape the construction paper ends together to form a crown and put it on!