Macaroni shapes are easy crafts for toddlers and preschoolers to make. Energetic crafters can get quite fancy organizing the colors and putting them on the rainbow, whereas super-quick crafters can just cheerfully scatter everything on in a haphazard way.
The rainbow shape doesn't have to be cut out, but it is a simple shape for beginner scissor users to cut. You can leave then paste it onto a piece of blue construction paper if you like. You could also use blue finger paints or blue water color paints to create a blue background for your rainbow.
I love using macaroni for this project because they're an arch shape, just like a rainbow!
- one of:
- Optional: popsicle stick or q-tip for spreading the glue
- Optional: blue construction paper or create your own blue background with water colors or finger paints.
- Print out the rainbow template.
- Optional: Cut out the rainbow. Beginning scissor users will find the arch shape fairly easy to cut out, but it is simpler BEFORE you've glued macaroni or fruit loops on it.
- Decorate the rainbow with fruit loops, colored macaroni or colored rice.
- You can squeeze glue out onto a disposable plastic lid or piece of waxed paper and let the children use a q-tip or popsicle stick to spread it onto their rainbow (or they can just dip the macaroni pieces into it) or you can let the kids squeeze the glue on their own.
- Let dry.
- You can glue your project to a piece of blue construction paper or card stock OR you can create your own sky background by water color painting or finger painting a piece of paper with blue paint.
- Hang on the fridge!
- or -
Glue your rainbow to a Popsicle stick and make your rainbow dance while you sing this song:
I'm a little Rainbow (sung to: I'm a Little Teapot)
I'm a little rainbow, way up high.
After it rains, look up to the sky.
You will see my colors, oh so bright!
From end to end, what a lovely sight!
- Close template window when done printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).