Cranberry Orange Sauce
- 1 lb (450g) fresh cranberries
- The rind and juice of on orange (you can get the rind off with a zester or just use the smallest setting of a grater; a nutmeg grater would be OK for this. Also a potato peeler gives you thick slices without the bitter white skin and you can use a knife to cut to desired consistency)
- a piece of cinnamon stick (about an inch and a half long),
- 4 cloves
- 1 heaped teaspoon freshly grated root ginger or 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 3 oz (75g)caster sugar
- 2 - 3 tbs. Port (optional, but nice a portish wine such as elderberry could be used)
Chop berries in a food processor or by hand. Combine all ingredients except the port in the pan and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes, remove from heat, pour in port/wine, cover and refrigerate. Remove cloves and cinnamon before serving.
**Easier and cheaper version: buy a nice cranberry sauces with a high fruit content. The day before add orange juice and or port to it. You could also gently simmer a pre made sauce with spices, orange and then add port and chill in the fridge a whole day before removing cinnamon and cloves; this would enable the flavours to mature.
Thanks to Lorna for Contributing this recipe!