Contributed by Helen. Thank-you!The famous “OLD SCRIPTURE” cake. If you know your Bible well, this will pose no problems. If you don’t know it quite that well, the translation will be at the end of the recipe.
- 3/4 cup Genesis 18:8
- 1 1/2 cup Jeremiah 6:20
- 5 Isaiah 10:14 (separated)
- 3 cups sifted Leviticus 24:5
- 3 teaspoons 2 Kings 2:20
- 3 teaspoons Amos 4:5
- 1 teaspoon Exodus 30:23
- 1/4 teaspoon each 2 Chronicles 9:9
- 1/2 cup Judges 4:19
- 3/4 chopped Genesis 43:11
- 3/4 cup finely cut Jeremiah 24:5
- 3/4 cup 2 Samuel 16:1
- Whole Genesis 43:11
- Cream Genesis 18 with Jeremiah 6. Beat in yolks of Isaiah 10, one at a time. Sift together Leviticus 24; 2 Kings 2; Amos 4; Exodus 30; and 2 Chronicles 9.
- Blend into creamed mixture alternately with Judges 4. Beat whites of Isaiah 10 till stiff; fold in. Fold in chopped Genesis 43; Jeremiah 24; and 2 Samuel 16. Turn into 10-inch tube pan that has been greased and dusted with Leviticus 24.
- Bake at 325 degrees F until it is golden brown or Gabriel blows his trumpet, whichever happens first. Bake for an hour and ten minutes. Remove from oven. After fifteen minutes, remove it from the pan. Cool completely. Drizzle over it some Burnt Jeremiah Syrup.
BURNT JEREMIAH SYRUP
- 1 1/2 cups Jeremiah 6:20
- 1/2 cup Genesis 24:45
- 1/4 cup Genesis 18:8
- Melt Jeremiah 6 in a heavy skillet over low heat. Keep cooking it till it is a deep gold, then add Genesis 24. Cook till smooth and remove from the heat. Add Genesis 18 and stir till it melts, then cool.
- After drizzling this on the Scripture Cake, you can decorate it with whole Genesis.
THE SCRIPTURE CAKE:
Genesis 18:8 “And he took butter, and milk, and the calf which he had dressed, and set it before them.”
Jeremiah 6:20 “To what purpose cometh there to me frankincense from Sheba, and the sweet cane from a far country.” (Sugar)
Isaiah 10:4 “And my hand hath found as a nest the riches of the peoples; and as one gathered eggs that are forsaken, have I gathered the earth.”
Leviticus 24:5 “And thou shalt take fine flour, and bake twelve cakes thereof.”
2 Kings 2:20 “And he said, Bring me a new cruse, and put salt therein.”
Amos 4:5 “And offer a sacrifice of thanksgiving of that which is leavened, and proclaim free will offerings and publish them.” (Baking Powder)
Exodus 30:23 “Take thou also, unto thee the chief spices; of flowering myrrh five hundred shekels, and of sweet cinnamon half as much.”
2 Chronicles 9:9 “And she gave the King a hundred and twenty talents of gold, and spices in great abundance.”
Judges 4:19 “ And he said unto her, Give me, I pray thee, a little water to drink; for I am thirsty. And she opened a bottle of milk and gave him drink.”
Genesis 43:11 “Carry down the man a present, a little balm, and a little honey, spicery and myrrh, nuts and almonds.”
Jeremiah 24:5 “Thou saith Jehovah, God of Israel: Like these good figs, so will I regard the captives of Judah whom I have sent out of this place into the land of the Chaldeans, for good.”
2 Samuel 16:1 “And when David was a little past the top of the assent, behold, Ziba, the servant of Mephiboseth met him, with a couple of asses saddled, and upon them two hundred loaves of bread, and a hundred clusters of raisins.
Genesis 24:45 “And before I had done speaking in my heart, behold Rebekah came forth with her pitcher on her shoulder; and she went down to the fountain, and drew: and I said unto her, Let me drink, I pray thee.”
KEY WORDS from the OLD SCRIPTURES:
butter, sweet cane, eggs, fine flour, salt, leavened, sweet cinnamon, spices, milk, almonds, figs, raisins, water.