Adapted from Creamy Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese
This recipe is both delicious and nutritional. It is a yummy twist on a classic Mac n' Cheese dish, but with one very special ingredient... butternut squash! The squash makes the cheesy sauce extra creamy and you can't even tell it's there!
If your children love their vegetables, you can add some extra color by throwing in some broccoli and leeks. However, if vegetables aren't their favourite things in the world, you can keep it simple and still feel good knowing they are getting the nutrition they need!
- 1 butternut squash, cubed (about 3 cups)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup skimmed milk
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp greek yogurt (I suggest using full fat because healthy fats are really important!)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 leek, finely sliced
- drizzle of olive oil
- 1 small head of broccoli, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs or quinoa flakes
- sprinkle of parsley flakes
- Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°
- Peel the butternut squash, remove the “guts” and seeds, and chop into cubes (1 butternut squash should make approximately 3 cups).
- Put the butternut squash in a medium pot with the vegetable broth, skimmed milk, and garlic.
- Heat the mixture and let simmer for 25 minutes. Don't let the mixture boil and make sure to sitr occasionally; this will stop the milk from burning.
- Meanwhile, finely slice a leek and fry in a frying pan with a dirzzle of olive oil. Fry unti lgolden over medium heat until soft and golden, about 10 minutes.
- Also, cook the pasta in a pot of lightly salted boiling water for 10-12 minutes.
- Once the nutternut squash micture is done cooking (the butternut squash is soft), pour all of it into a blender and blend until smooth. Add the Greek yogurt and pulse a few more times in the blender. Season with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Pour the creamy butternut squash mixture into an empty casserole dish (9" by 13") and stir in the shredded cheddar cheese until the cheese melts into the mixture—it's okay if there are a few lumps.
- Stir in the leeks, broccoli, and uncooked pasta until everything is coated evenly in the creamy sauce.
- Sprinkle the top with breadcrumbs or quinoa flakes (if you want some extra protien). I love cheese so I sprinkle a bit of extra shredded cheddar on top!
- Place the casserole dish in the oven for 25 minutes. Sprinkle the top with parsley flakes and enjoy!
Serves 4 happy tummies!
- Replace the skimmed milk with an unsweetened plant-based milk of choice (almond, soy, oat, etc.) or skip the simmed milk and use 3 cups of vegetable stock instead
- Replace the Greek yoghurt with 1/4 of an avocado
- Replace the cheese with 1/2 cup of nutritional yeast