DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Mexican Pottery Paper Plate Craft
© by Leanne Guenther
Tasha's Mexican pottery
This is a simple craft to do as part of a Mexican (Aztec) history lesson.
Younger children will paint simpler
images and older children or art students can make them more complex.
- scrap paper and pencil
- paper plate,
- Paint (we used brown and yellow) -- shades of black, white,
brown, orange, yellow and red are all appropriate choices.
- Draw a rough design on a scrap piece of paper.
- Paint your paper plate a base color (we used yellow paint for
- Let dry
- Note: acrylic paint dries very fast. If your
children are old enough to keep it off their clothes, it's a great
option. If it does get onto something, wash it out
immediately... Once it dries, it is not washable.
- Use paint colours like brown or black to paint the
design on your plate.
- Add a little bit of geometric design around the edge of the
Print friendly version of these instructions