Check out the General Directions on how to paper mache if this is your first time working with this medium.
- Paper mache and strips of newspaper
- I make paper mache with one cup of flour and 4 cups of water. Boil the paper mache stirring frequently just long enough for it to thicken... Take off the stove and put in a separate bowl. Add 4 ice cubes and stir those in
- You can make cold paper mache with equal parts flour and water. It takes more flour and isn't quite as smooth, but it works just fine.
- dried beans or uncooked rice.
- cardboard tube (toilet paper roll is what we used).
- stickers, paint, markers, construction paper, etc to decorate.
- glue and masking tape
- Use a siphon (you can make one by rolling a piece of paper into a cone like we've done in the photo) and pour some beans or rice into your balloon.
- Blow up your balloon (don't swallow any beans!).
- Fringe the toilet paper roll (see the photo to the right).
- Tape the toilet paper roll onto the bottom of the balloon (use lots of tape).
- stuff the toilet paper roll with newspaper and put some masking tape over the end. That way the rice or beans won't fall into the handle or out the bottom.
- At this point your maraca will be nice and noisy. If you want to make one with younger children or if you want the project done FAST, just stop here. It won't last forever, but good things rarely do.
- Cover with paper mache and let dry.
- Decorate outside of as desired.
- You can cut out shapes from construction paper or paint it or color with markers.
- Add stickers for extra fun!
- Shake your maraca