Mouse crafts are very versatile -- there are lots of children's stories starring mice (my favorite is "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie") and also lots of songs and rhymes with mice, like Hickory Dickory Dock.
This particular mouse craft uses a printable template and a paper plate to make a project suitable for a pets, mammals, or letter M theme or just for fun.
If you cut out holes instead of using the template eyes, you can convert your mouse craft to a mouse mask. Attach a paint stir stick or tongue depressor to allow your child to hold it up to their face.
- grey or brown paint and paintbrush (or you can keep his face white if you don't feel like painting).
- paper plate,
- something to color with (or color printer),
- Optional: You can substitute large wiggly eyes for the template eyes.
- Optional FOR MASK: Paint Stir Stick, thin strip of wood or Tongue Depressor.
- Paint the bottom of the paper plate gray or brown (or you can leave it white if you prefer).
- Print out the craft template of choice.
- Color (if using the black and white version of the craft) and cut out the template pieces. Most of the pieces are simple enough shapes for young children to cut out, but if needed, an adult can help with some of the harder pieces (for example, the hair).
- Glue the pieces to the plate to make a mouse face:
- Glue the ears onto either side of the head.
- Glue the ear middles onto each of the ears.
- Glue the hair onto the center top of the head.
- Glue the eyes onto the face under the hair (or cut out holes for eyes in a mask).
- Glue the eyebrows above the eyes.
- Glue the nose under the eyes.
- Glue the mouth under the nose.
- Optional: If making a mask, use masking tape or duct tape to attach a thin strip of wood, aTongue Depressor or a Paint Stir Stick (often free at paint supply and home repair stores -- no more than $1 -- we get dad to pick one up now and then when he's at home depot admiring the tools *grin*)
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).