DLTK's Custom Dominos
A few viewers wrote to suggest that we make some themed dominos
that they could print. The next steps will allow you to pick a theme for
your dominos and then choose color or black and white before allowing you to
print a set of dominos. I hope that your kids will enjoy them.
If you would like to make your dominos more durable you may want
- print them on heavier weight paper
- print on regular paper and glue it to light cardboard before
your cut the cards out
- laminate them
Instructions for the game:
The dominos game on the site is smaller than a traditional dominos game (it's intended for young children though grownups usually enjoy playing it with the kids).
Anyone used to playing "regular" dominos (with 28 dominos) will find this game a
lot easier/faster (which is intentional for the shorter attention span of young children).
- Shuffle/mix up dominos and place them all face down on the table.
- For a two player game, each player should draw 4 dominos at random, for a game with more players, each
player should draw 3 dominos. Don't let the other players see your
- The youngest player should go first by laying any domino on the table. In
the typical game you'd lay a double (one with the same image in both squares, but this is optional in the easy
version -- I find it a tough rule to explain to the little ones and usually
results in my having to look at their cards)
- player two tries to lay a domino on the table with an image that matches what's already there. If you cannot go, pick a domino from the pile and miss your turn.
- continue taking turns laying dominos or picking from the pile until someone wins:
- get rid of all the dominos in your hand
- if no one can go, then the person with the least dominos in their hand is the winner