I have a running tab of decorative things that I would love to get for my home, but I try not to buy them new and sometimes even find a way to make them! This is one of my favourite decoration projects yet! I had an old skirt that no longer fit and I was so thrilled to find a use for it. I think this is a fun project and your pillow will be one of a kind because it is made by you and upcycled from a unique piece of clothing!
- old piece of clothing (make sure that the material will be nice for a pillow),
- Pillow filling (for a fully upcycled project use an old pillow or scrap fabric)
- sewing supplies (sewing machine or needle, thread, and pins),
- two buttons,
- Choose an article of clothing to turn into a pillow (I used a skirt). Make sure that the material of your clothing will be comfortable as a pillow.
- Lay out your clothing and cut out two circle shapes. I recommend cutting it out as large as possible at first, because you can always trim off extra afterwards but you can't replace the fabric once it's been cut.
- TIP: You can use a large bowl or circle-shaped item to trace two equally sized circles.
- Lay the two circles together insides out (this will be the inside of your pillow).
- Start sewing the pillow! I used a simple straight stitch for the whole project. Using a machine is the easiest way to sew the pillow but it is possible to hand sew instead (it will just take longer).
- Use a sewing machine or hand sewing supplies to sew around the circle. Make sure not to sew completely shut, leave a large enough opening to turn the pillow right-side out and stuff it with pillow filling.
- Turn the pillow inside out. Then stuff the pillow with filling (I used filling from an old pillow) or fabric scraps.
- Hand sew the last small gap of the pillow.
- Gather together materials for the button.
- You will need some extra fabric, a button, some sewing supplies, and a small bit of pillow stuffing.
- Sandwich the button and pillow filling between a square of fabric.
- Sew together the back of the fabric around the button.
- Do not cut the thread because you will need it to attch the button to the pillow.
- Sew the button through the middle of pillow, all the way to the other side.
- Use a second button to secure the button to the pillow. Sew it back and forth a couple times, to thoroughly secure the button to the pillow.
- Enjoy your cute new pillow!
For the Pillow:
For the Button:
For the Pillow: