DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Stethoscopes are tools that doctors and healthcare workers use to check on patients. They are basically like giant amplifiers that make really small sounds, like a heartbeat, louder. We often think about a stethoscope being used to listen for a heartbeat, but they are also used to check other things such as breathing.
This cute craft is not a working stethoscope, but it's so fun to make and a great toy for kids to play with! It is also a really neat way to turn an old headband into a cute toy!
- old headband,
- two pompoms,
- one cup from an egg carton,
- paint and paintbrush,
- hot glue.
- Cut out one cup of the egg carton and trim the sides so it has a relatively smooth shape.
- Paint the egg carton and let it dry.
- While the egg carton is drying hot glue the two pompoms to either end of the headband. These are the ear pieces!
- TIP: I was actually able to push my pompom onto the end of the headband a bit. If possible try this before securing it with glue, because the pompom will be more secure.
- Cut a relatively long piece of string or wool or ribbon and tie one end to the bottom of the headband.
- Once the egg carton is dry, use a hot glue gun to the attach the other end of the string to the egg carton.
- Now you can use your new stethoscope as a fun toy. I used it to play with my cat!
Print friendly version of these instructions