This is such a great craft to do if you've been looking for a cool project to do one afternoon. It is a relatively simple craft that takes a bit of time, so settle down with the family and a plate of cookies and have a blast making this cute train!
The best part? It is super duper fun to play with! Just stick some toys in the back carriages and haul them all over the house!
All aboard for Craft Station!
- 3 milk cartons,
- toilet paper roll,
- colourful construction paper,
- hot glue (this is needed for a very small part of the project but will require adult assistance or supervision),
- single hole punch,
- string or wool,
- milk jug lids,
- OPTIONAL: cotton balls
- Rinse out all of the milk cartons and let them dry completely.
- Tape together the opening of the first milk carton so that it appears to be closed. Tape constructions paper around the outside of the milk carton.
- Cut a four or three inch piece off the bottom of the second milk carton.
- Tape it onto the top of the train's enginge and at the back to create the driver's room.
- Cover it with construction paper.
- Tape two construction paper windows onto either side of the driver's room and tape a piece of paper to the top so that it makes a curved roof.
- Cover a TP roll in construction paper.
- Tape the tp roll on top and to the front of the train's engine.
- Create a cone shape with a piece of construction paper and secure it into the top of the tp roll with tape.
- Cut out grey or black strips of construction paper and stick to the front of the engine.
- Now we will create two carriages using the third milk carton:
- Completely open of the top of the carton.
- Cut down the length of the carton so that you have to halves.
- Fold the open half in so that it closes the recatngle shape.
- Cover the two carriages in construction paper.
- Cut two lengths of wool/string and tie basic knots into the ends of both strings.
- Using a hot glue gun (and adult assistance/supervision!) connect the three carriages together with the string.
- OPTIONAL: fluff up a few cotton balls and place them in the top of the toilet paper roll like steam coming out of the train!