This is a simple mobile made up of printed race cars, sports cars and a finish line flag. We usually create our mobiles by using two straws or sticks taped or tied in a criss-cross or by using one paper towel or gift wrap roll with all the pieces tied to it (this isn't as 3D a mobile, but is good for recycling).
You'll notice all the cars have been made with the fold along the top. If you prefer, instead of making a mobile, you could just print and fold the cars. They'll stand up on your desk or table top as little paper models. If you decide to do this, you don't need anything except a printer, scissors and something to color with.
- a printer,
- some crayons, paint, markers or pencil crayons,
- string or yarn.
- small paper plate or circle of cardboard (old cereal boxes are a
good source of cardboard) AND two straws or sticks
- a paper towel roll
- an ice cream pail lid and hole punch
- Print out the template of choice. You can print out as many as you want to fill up your mobile.
- Color (where appropriate) and cut out the template pieces along the dotted lines.
- Fold the template pieces in half and glue the back and front together. Let dry.
- Poke a small hole in the top of each piece and tie with yarn or string to the mobile you've chosen
Paper Towel Roll Mobile:
- Decorate your paper towel roll as desired: You can use paint, paper, stickers, etc to match your theme.
- string each mobile piece from the paper towel roll
- Put a piece of string or wool right through the paper towel roll to use to hang from the wall or ceiling
Criss Cross Straws Mobile:
- Poke a hole through the center of the paper plate or circle of cardboard
- Arrange the straws in an X shape and tie with wool
- Tie a long piece of wool to the center of the X. Slide the circle of cardboard or paper plate onto the wool (through the hole you made),
- Tape the straws to the plate to keep them in their X shape and to help them balanced
- String each mobile piece onto one of the straws (and in the center if desired)
- Decorate your lid as desired: You can use paint, paper, stickers, etc to match your theme.
- Use a hole punch or sharp pencil to poke holes all the way around the lid at equal distances (you need as many holes as you have mobile pieces
- String each mobile piece onto one of the holes you've made
- String another piece of yarn from each of the holes, going up to the ceiling. Tie all of these pieces together to make a knot you can hang your mobile with.
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP in most browsers).