I love any and all bread; when I was younger and we would be having family dinner my plate would be full of dinner rolls and nothing else. Part of me was hoping that I would grow out of my bread cravings with age but I never did, so I have decided to embrace my love for bread. I went in search of a recipe that could fill my daily bread with some extra nutrients. I found this bread recipe and it is made using cauliflower... how cool is that?!
- 500 grams cauliflower
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 2 tsp mixed, dried herbs
- 4 eggs
- Prepare a baking tray with parchment paper or non-stick spray.
- Preheat the oven to 160C/325F.
- Cut the cauliflower into small chunks and process in a food processor until it resembles bread crumbs.
- Put the cauliflower breadcrumbs and the ground almonds into a bowl and stir together with the dried herbs.
- Make a well in the center of the mixture and crack all four eggs into the well. Beat the eggs lightly with a fork and then stir the eggs into the mixture until just combined.
- Use your hands to form the mixture into a dough-like ball.
- Put the cauliflower "dough" onto the parchment-lined baking tray and press down with your hands to form a rectangle shape about 1 centimeter in depth.
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes or until the flatbread is golden across the surface.
Makes 12-16 rectangles of flatbread!
Variations & Tips:
- If your hands keep sticking to the "dough": run your hands under warm water and then shape the dough.
- If you would like a nut free alternative: replace the ground almonds with ground sunflower seeds, which you can grind yourself in a food processor.
- If you would like to add some more colour: use 500 grams broccoli instead of cauliflower or use 250 grams cauliflower and 250 grams grated carrots.
- If you want a tasty pizza treat: Serve the flatbreads topped with pesto, mozzarella, tomatoes, and arugula.