contributed by Leanne Guenther
Well, it was bound to happen! We're Canadian and my husband's a big hockey fan (complete with scar beside his right eye from a puck in the face -- wear your helmet!!!) But it took a gentle nudge from Denise, another Canadian to finally get me working on a few hockey Crafts for the site -- my husband thanks you *grin*.
The Hockey Buddy is my ninth addition to the Sports Buddies -- and my first "Winter Olympics" sports buddy. I'll be adding others to the Sports Crafts index as I make them.
I wince a little bit doing these buddies because I can imagine all the requests for buddies with specific country or team colors. Howie Hockey's color scheme was made with Canada in mind. The color scheme would also work for Switzerland, Denmark, Japan, Bahrain, Greenland and Indonesia. I'll try to make each Sports Buddy a unique color scheme so that hopefully you can find at least one of them that suits your preferences. And keep in mind -- you can always print the templates in B&W and then color them in whatever way you like!
Denise also contributed a hockey song to go with Howie (sung to the tune of Row Row Row Your Boat)
Shoot shoot shoot the puck
Swiftly down the ice
Slip it past the other goalie
Wouldn't that be nice
- something to color with (B&W version),
- Print out the template of choice (you can mix and match the B&W and color versions if you want less coloring).
- Color the template pieces (if using the B&W version) -- feel free to use different materials for coloring to add creativity/personality to the project (paint, markers, pencils and crayons are all fun choices).
- Cut out the template pieces (young children may need help with this step).
- Glue the hockey buddy together:
- Glue the face on the hockey puck head
- Glue the helmet onto the head
- Glue the head onto the neck (shirt)
- Glue the arms onto the shirt
- Glue the legs under the shirt
- Glue the hockey stick into one of the hands (no high sticking!)
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).