DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Bouncy Cobra Paper Craft
This bouncy snake is fun to make and even more fun to play with!
- one or two colors of construction paper (they look nicer with two colors I think)
- scotch tape
- Optional: wiggly eyes
- Optional: drinking straw
- Cut three or four strips of construction paper about 1 or 2 inches wide and 11 inches
long (it doesn't have to be exact) and tape them together to make one long
piece (30 to 40 inches long).
- Repeat the first step to make a second very long strip of paper
- Note: There really is no limit to how long your snake can
be... just keep adding strips of construction paper to your accordion
folding. If the children enjoy the project, they may want to
"compete" with themselves or each other to see who can make the
longest snake (Kaitlyn's determined to make one that wraps all the way
around her bedroom). To take a break from folding, just scotch tape it
where you've ended off and then remove the tape the next time you want to
- tape the pieces of paper together in an L shape.
- accordion fold the paper (see the diagrams below if you don't know how to
accordion fold paper)
tape as an L
fold bottom piece over top piece
crease to make another L
repeat step 2
- Continue until you have 6 to 10 inches of unfolded paper left.
- Trim one color off and tape it so your accordion won't unravel (in
our case, we trimmed off the red color).
- Take a piece of construction paper the same color as the remaining long
strip. (in our case, blue)
- Fold it in half
- Cut out a heart
- use glue or tape to attach the heart to the back of the long strip to
make the cobra's head
- Fold it in half
- I found the head didn't stand up all that well at this point.
- I taped a piece of drinking straw onto the back of the snake,
all the way down into the accordion folds (see photo to the
right). This made the snake stand up nicely for us.
- You can then glue a second piece of construction paper over
top of the straw to hide it (if you don't want it to show)
- Cut a tongue shape from red construction paper
- Fold a small tab at the end and glue it onto the head
- Kaitlyn added a mouth and fangs with black marker
- Glue on wiggly eyes or draw eyes on with a marker
- We cut eyes out of red construction paper and drew an eye slit
in the middle of each with a black marker