DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Groundhog's Day is on February 2nd. Use these printable templates to create a paper cone and groundhog puppet to play with on Groundhog's Day!
- a printer,
- pencil (we used an unsharpened one) or a straw
- something to color with
- Print out the template of choice.
- Color the pieces if using the black and white template.
- Cut out the template pieces. The cone is easy enough for young children practicing their scissor skills. They might need assistance cutting out the groundhog.
- Fold the groundhog in half so he's coloured on both sides (his front has his face and this back has his tail).
- Put glue along both edges (arms) of the groundhog and glue him together. DO NOT put any glue near the feet... We will use this opening for the pencil.
- Carefully slide the pencil or straw into the groundhog through the hole where the feet are. Push the edges back together if the glue let go (it's still wet at this point). Set aside to dry.
- Roll the burrow into a cone shape.
- Put glue on the tab so the cone holds together.
- Snip the tip of the cone off. The template is marked
roughly where you should snip. You might have to snip a bit
more off if you're using an especially thick pencil. I used
a standard yellow HB pencil when designing the template.
- Once all of the pieces are dry, drop the other end of the pencil
into the cone and slide it through the tip that you cut off.
- Now your groundhog can hide inside the burrow. You can use the pencil to push him up and peek out, twist the pencil to make him look around and pull the pencil back down to make him hide back inside his hole.
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).