Make this great little coffee can hat and use it to collect spare change for your favorite patriotic charity.
- printer and paper
- coffee can with lid
- red and white acrylic paint
- paint brushes
- thin cardboard, cardstock or red construction paper
- utility knife
- Optional: white spray paint
- Optional: Have an adult spray paint the entire can white beforehand to save time. It can be tricky to paint the plastic lid and metal can. Spray painting ahead of time will make the painting easier and faster for the children.
- Paint the can white (except for the bottom) if it was not done ahead of time.
- Paint the top of the can white.
- Paint wide red stripes around the can.
- Print out the template, color and cut out the maple leaves.
- Glue a template of a maple leaf onto the top of the can and equally around the outside of the can (we used 5 maple leaves).
- ADULT HELP PLEASE! Cut a small slit in the plastic lid large enough for coins using the utility knife.
- Trace a plate that is larger than the bottom of the can onto the cardboard, cardstock or construction paper and then cut it out.
- Paint one side of the cardstock red if you did not use red construction paper.
- Glue the bottom of the can to the middle of the cardstock to complete your hat.
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).