DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Canada Day Wreath
This tp roll wreath provides a great way for your children to decorate the
house for Canada Day. We actually hang ours outside (assuming it
isn't raining) during our Canada Day barbeque. The diameter of the completed wreath is about 15 inches.
This craft is fun for older children (and adults!) - Age 6+. There are quite a few steps that younger kids (Age 2+) can help with, but
they won't be able to do the craft independently. This is a good family project!
This fun wreath is made with, you guessed it, TP ROLLS!! Everyone in my family has been collecting them for me and we ended up with
a whole bunch of extra ones. I was stumped for a way to use them!
- Wire coat hanger
- 14 to 16 tp rolls
- OPTIONAL: red paint
- paper and printer
- something to color with (B&W version)
- ADULT: Take each tp roll and cut a slit HALFWAY through
- OPTIONAL: Paint tp rolls. You can
see from the finished craft that not much shows through, but my kids
have fun painting, so we painted them all shades of red and white.
- Let dry.
- ADULT: Bend the coat hanger to form a circle.
- Using the slits cut halfway through the rolls, slide each of your tp
rolls onto the hanger to form a big circle of tp rolls.
- OPTIONAL: Take a bit of masking or scotch tape and tape the tp
rolls together. (tape the openings of the tp rolls on the inside
of the circle together). This will keep the rolls from spinning
around while you're working. If you choose not to do this, the
paper leaves will keep everything from spinning on the finished craft
- The image shows how the tp rolls are assembled (I think it's the one
we did for Halloween). In this case, the rolls would be red
and/or white but the assembly is the same.
- Cut out many maple leaves. We made ours by printing one of the color templates.
- One person can be doing this part while another (daddy *grin*) is assembling the tp roll wreath base.
- Glue all the maple leaves onto the tp roll base, overlapping so it's nice and full.
- Tie a bow on the top if you want to.
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Print friendly version of these instructions