DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Milk Carton Spanish Galleon
- 2 milk cartons
- 2 straws
- black and white paper (construction paper)
- glue, scissors and tape
OPTIONAL: template pieces (see bottom of this page) -- you could
also make them yourself with white paper and markers.
Alternative: use craft foam instead of construction paper and
you'll have a ship that you can play with in the bathtub.
- tape a piece of construction paper about 1/2 way up the milk carton
as shown in the photo to the right.
- tape black construction paper all the way up the back of the milk
carton, leaving about 1 inch sticking up over the carton
- tape white construction paper over the rest of the milk carton
- glue two blobs of playdough into the center of the
- cut a two to three inch piece off the bottom of the second milk
- Tape it onto the ship (covering the playdough).
- Poke two holes in it (with a pencil) right above the playdough blobs.
- cover with white construction paper
- stick two straws through the holes you poked in the top carton.
- Print out the template pieces.
- Poke two holes in each rectangle with scissors or a hole punch and
thread onto the straws as masts -- the largest goes in front, the medium and small go on the back
- draw windows and a door with markers or glue on the template door and windows.
- Cut two small slits in the top of the front straw (about 1/2 inch long)
- fold the flag in half and glue so it is colored on both sides
- slip it into the slits you made in the straw
- OPTIONAL: Put a coffee stir stick or popsicle stick on the front of
the boat with glue or tape. Tie a string or wool between this stick
and the front mast
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Print friendly version of these instructions