- 2 milk cartons
- 2 straws
- black and white paper (construction paper)
- glue, scissors and tape
Optional: template pieces (see bottom of this page) -- you could also make them yourself with white paper and markers.
Alternative: use craft foam instead of construction paper and
you'll have a ship that you can play with in the bathtub.
- tape a piece of construction paper about 1/2 way up the milk carton as shown in the photo to the right.
- tape black construction paper all the way up the back of the milk carton, leaving about 1 inch sticking up over the carton
- tape white construction paper over the rest of the milk carton
- glue two blobs of playdough into the center of the Spanish galleon
- cut a two to three inch piece off the bottom of the second milk carton.
- Tape it onto the ship (covering the playdough).
- Poke two holes in it (with a pencil) right above the playdough blobs.
- cover with white construction paper
- stick two straws through the holes you poked in the top carton.
- Print out the template pieces.
- Poke two holes in each rectangle with scissors or a hole punch and thread onto the straws as masts -- the largest goes in front, the medium and small go on the back
- draw windows and a door with markers or glue on the template door and windows.
- Cut two small slits in the top of the front straw (about 1/2 inch long)
- Fold the flag in half and glue so it is colored on both sides
- slip it into the slits you made in the straw
- Optional: Put a coffee stir stick or popsicle stick on the front of the boat with glue or tape. Tie a string or wool between this stick and the front mast
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).