This is a simple craft for preschool children about to begin school or for young siblings of school age kids.
- lid (TOP) of an egg carton
- yellow paint or markers
- black construction paper or 2 lids from milk jugs (for wheels)
- black marker
- Optional: small cutouts of people from magazines, coloring books or hand drawn
- Cut the lid off an egg carton.
- Paint (or color with marker) the lid yellow. We only used one coat, but you could do two.
- While the paint is drying, cut 2 circles out of black construction
- (you can have the children trace the lid from a baby food jar or orange juice container -- preschool kids enjoy tracing). Use white crayon, chalk or pencil crayon for tracing.
- Allow the children to cut out their circles with safety scissors (or supervise them closely while they use regular scissors).
- The wheels don't have to be perfectly round -- let them have fun.
- use the lids from milk jugs as an alternative to construction paper wheels
- Optional: Also while the paint is drying, have the children cut
small images of people from magazines or coloring books or let them draw
- once again, let the children roughly cut out the images with safety scissors.
- Once the paint is dry, glue on the wheels.
- Optional: Glue the images of people onto the bus. The carton
we used had holes down the center, so we glued the people into the
- If yours doesn't have holes, just glue the people onto the bus... You can draw "windows" around them with a black marker.
- Write SCHOOL along the top of the bus (or if your child is beginning to write on their own, let them write it out).