DLTK's Crafts for Kids
School Paper Quilt Craft
This is a great cut and paste paper craft project for back to school!
This turns out to be quite a large project (about 25 inches x
25 inches) and there are lots of templates to print.
Note: If you'd like a smaller project (both in size and
time) do a 4 square quilt instead of a 9 square quilt:
only print templates 1, 2, 4 and 5
Alternatively, you might like to have a group of children each make a quilt piece or two and then assembling everyone's pieces into one quilt.
- something to color with,
- Optional: blue construction paper
- Optional: This is optional, but I really like to include
it as part of the craft if I'm making the 9 square quilt.
- Print the "Top Border Template" in either color or B&W.
This is the bit that says BACK TO SCHOOL along the top.
- Color the template pieces if using B&W
- Cut out the template pieces
- Assemble the pieces to make a strip about 20 inches long and
3 inches tall.
- Print templates 1 to 9 to make a 9 square quilt
OR print templates 1, 2, 4 and 5 if you're making a 4 square
- Color each template piece if using B&W
- this can be quite time consuming (a square
per day and 1 day for assembly = 10 days)
- this can be done as a group project with each child
completing a square and then assembling it as a group.
- Cut out the template pieces.
- Apply glue to the gray parts of the template and
assemble (you can look at the image at the top of this page
to see what piece goes where) After assembling, there
should be no gray left showing.
- Optional: I was torn whether to add this as the
project is already quite time consuming. It's up to
you whether you want to do it!
- Glue 4 inch wide strips of blue construction paper
all around the outside of your project to form a border.
Use scissors to cut a slight wave in this border so it
looks like a quilt.
- Print 3 copies of the fringe template for a 9 square
quilt or 2 copies for a 4 square quilt. Cut out
the pieces and glue them around the outside of the quilt
as a border, overlapping the pieces slightly so there
are no gaps.
- Close template window when done printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Top Border Template
Quilt Square Template 1
Quilt Square Template 2
Quilt Square Template 3
Quilt Square Template 4
Quilt Square Template 5
Quilt Square Template 6
Quilt Square Template 7
Quilt Square Template 8
Quilt Square Template 9
Optional Fringe Template
Print friendly version of these instructions