USA Crafts: [Bald Eagles] [Flag Day] [Presidents and Uncle Sam] [Wreaths] [Other USA Crafts]
You can replicate the same type of craft using craft foam by tracing the template pieces onto foam and drawing on a few of the details.
It turns out really cute just with paper though -- the directions assume you'll be doing it just with paper
The Uncle Sam box is great for putting in clues for charades or treasure hunts to play at a Fourth of July party. You can also put in prayers or wishes for friends and family or for candies. A kleenex box can also be used while still full of kleenex and set around as a decorative touch during the Fourth of July season.
- small empty box (we use rectangular kleenex boxes and shoe boxes)
- construction paper
- Optional: thin cardboard (empty cereal boxes work well).
- Optional: large wiggly eyes
- Print out the template of choice and color them as appropriate.
- Wrap the empty box up with construction paper (or gift wrap) in an appropriate color (silver, red, white and blue would all work).
- Cut a slit in the top of the box large enough to fit your items in the top. (candies, wishes, clues, etc)
- NOTE: You could also just cut the entire top off the box or use a no-top box like a shoe box.
- Optional: Glue the templates to pieces of thin cardboard and let dry
- Cut out the template pieces.
- Print the child's name on the star
- Glue pieces together:
- Head shape (large circle on Template 1) should go on shoulders (Template 1).
- Glue the bow as a bowtie below the face.
- Glue the hair (Template 1) onto the head. It will likely overlap the bow somewhat.
- Glue the eyes, nose, mustache, mouth (Template 2) onto the face.
- Glue the hat onto the head.
- Glue the whole body onto the back of the box, facing over the top (so it looks like he's sitting behind the box, holding it... see picture at the top of this page if you don't understand).
- Glue the star (template 2) onto the front of the box
- Glue the hands (template 2) to the front of the box, overlapping the star slightly
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).