USA Crafts: [Bald Eagles] [Flag Day] [Presidents and Uncle Sam] [Wreaths] [Other USA Crafts]
DLTK's Crafts for Kids
USA Stars and Stripes Mobile
This is a simple mobile made up of stars and flags. We usually create our mobiles by using two straws or sticks taped or tied in a criss-cross (see picture above) or by using one paper towel or gift wrap roll with all the pieces tied to it (this isn't as 3D a mobile, but is good for recycling).
You can mix and match the pieces (4 circles + 1 flag in the center or 4 flags + 1 circle in the center or whatever other combination you like!).
- a printer,
- some crayons, paint, markers or pencil crayons (if using B&W template),
- string or yarn.
- small paper plate or circle of cardboard (old cereal boxes are a good source of cardboard) AND two straws or sticks
- a paper towel roll
- ice cream container lid
- Print out the templates of choice. You can print out as many as you want to fill up your mobile.
- Color (where appropriate) and cut out the template pieces along the dotted lines.
- Fold the template pieces in half and glue the back and front together. Let dry.
- Poke a small hole in the top of each piece and tie with yarn or string to the mobile you've chosen
Paper Towel Roll Mobile:
Decorate your paper towel roll as desired: You can use paint, paper, stickers, etc to match your theme.
- string each mobile piece from the paper towel roll
- Put a piece of string or wool right through the paper towel roll to use to hang from the wall or ceiling
Criss Cross Straws Mobile:
- You can let the kids decorate the circle/paper plate with paint, markers or stickers.
- Poke a hole through the center of the paper plate or circle of cardboard
- Arrange the straws in an X shape and tie with wool
- Tie a long piece of wool to the center of the X. Slide the circle of cardboard or paper plate onto the wool (through the hole you made)
- Tape the straws to the plate to keep them in their X shape and to help them balanced
- String each mobile piece onto one of the straws (and in the center if desired)
- Decorate your lid as desired: You can use paint, paper, stickers, etc to match your theme.
- Use a hole punch or sharp pencil to poke holes all the way around the lid at equal distances (you need as many holes as you
have mobile pieces
- String each mobile piece onto one of the holes you've made
- String another piece of yarn from each of the holes, going up to the ceiling. Tie all of these pieces together to make a knot
you can hang your mobile with.
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).