DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Paper Roll Craft
This is a fun and simple color, cut and paste paper craft that uses a toilet paper roll as a base to give it a three dimensional effect. Make this craft just for fun or as part of a Burn's Night celebration or a Scottish theme.
Please keep in mind that it's hard to make a "tartan" that can be colored in by young children (at least it was for me *grin*). Hopefully, this is close enough to get the idea across!
A real tartan is quite a bit more complicated with a horizontal and vertical weave of a variety of different colors (an example is pictured to the left.)
- a toilet paper roll,
- something to color with,
- a piece of paper
- Print out the template of choice.
- Color the pieces as appropriate and cut them out.
- Glue the large rectangular piece around the toilet paper roll.
- Glue the arms to the sides of the toilet paper roll.
- Glue the head onto the top of the toilet paper roll.
- Glue the feet onto the bottom of the toilet paper roll. You can fold the tabs so they stick out of the bottom if you like.
- Glue the bowtie under the chin.
- Glue the tam-o'-shanter onto the head.
- Glue the bagpipe into one of the hands.
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).