This plastic bottle firefly craft is so much fun. These little homemade bugs light up a room and are great for children of all ages. It is also a neat way to get rid of any plastic bottles you have been wanting to recycle.
- empty plastic water bottles
- glow sticks
- white felt
- pipe cleaner
- googly eyes
- tooth picks
- Take the wrapper off your plastic water bottle(s) and make sure the inside is completely dry.
- Glue 2 googly eyes onto the bottle cap.
- Cut out the wing document for this craft and trace it onto a piece of white felt. Flip the piece over and glue a toothpick onto the back of each wing.
- Wrap 3 pipe cleaners around different sections of your water bottle. Twist the pipe cleaners once underneath the bottle, the extra pipe cleaner that sticks out will act as legs.
- Glue your wings to the top of the bottle. Use one more pipecleaner for the antenna by wrapping it around near the opening part of the bottle. I used scissors to trim the length of this final pipecleaner.
- Crack your glow sticks and put them inside the bottle. Put your googly eyed bottle cap back on and enjoy your firefly friend! You can also tie a string to the bottle and hang it up somewhere so that they can fly around.
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Firefly Wings Template (wings)