Butterflies have four different stages to their life cycle. Each stage serves a different purpose and the butterfly looks completely different. The change from stage to stage is called a "metamorphosis".
Note that the templates below include a larger version of the images to be used on a bulletin board or something like that.
- Print out the template pieces -- there's a choice between a large version and a small version. The completed small version fits on a single sheet of paper. The large version would be a good option for a small bulletin board (classroom door).
- Color the template pieces if you are using the B&W version.
- Cut out the template pieces.
- Arrange the pictures and arrows to show the four stages of the butterfly life cycle.
- Glue or tape the pieces onto the base.
Printing the Templates:
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Small pictures (no words):
Small pictures (with words):
Large Templates (perfect for bulletin boards)
Butterfly and Eggs:
Caterpillar and Chrysalis:
Life Cycle Arrows:
Also check out KidZone's Animal Life Cycles - Information and Worksheets