DLTK's Crafts for Kids
- Ring of cardboard (empty cereal boxes work wonderfully)
- construction paper (red, white and blue)
- small piece of wool
- Trace a small plate and a large plate onto a piece of old cardboard. (My 6 year
old enjoys tracing by herself. My 3 year old prefers I do this part.)
- Empty cereal boxes or frozen dinner boxes work well as a source of recycled cardboard.
- It doesn't matter if you go over the folds of the cardboard.
- Cut a small
strip of cardboard and glue or tape it onto the back of the ring over any folds in the cardboard.
- This will reinforce the ring.
- Cut strips of blue construction paper (about 1 1/2 inches by 4 inches).
- Cut strips of red construction paper the same length, but a bit narrower (about 1 inch wide).
- Cut strips of white construction paper the same length, but even narrower (about 1/2 inch wide).
- Stack the three colors of strips one on top of the other.
- You can do some rolls with red, white and blue (from thickest to narrowest) and some with white, blue and red if you like.
- The rolls make really cute napkin rings too!
- Glue the strips into rolls (like making a paper chain).
- Glue the rolls of construction paper onto the wreath. Alternate colours. My oldest daughter is in grade 1 and they spend a lot of time
on patterns. This is great practice for that.
- Print out the stars template.
- Glue the stars together from biggest to smallest. Try to
center things (this is good practice for younger children to sort shapes from largest to smallest).
- Take a piece of string and tape it to the wreath and to the star so the star hangs in the center of the wreath.
- Hang on the wall.
- You can do the wreath with one row or two rows.
OR make the fold
and cut star to make the project more challenging for ages 6+
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Stars Template (color)
Print friendly version of these instructions