DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Russian Matryoshka Paper Craft
© by Leanne Guenther
This is a simple cut and paste paper craft that can be done
"just for fun" or for a Russia theme -- Russia is hosting the olympics this winter which is what has inspired our learning a bit more about the country right now.
Russian Matryoshka dolls are wooden "nesting dolls". Each one opens up to reveal a smaller one inside. Originally they were hand carved from a single piece of wood and then hand
painted by artists -- artistic ones like this are really very beautiful. Now days there are affordable, mass produced versions for tourists and children -- they're still cute and fun to
Create your own design or use one of our pre-made templates to make your own paper Matryoshka Doll.
- something to colour with if using the B&W version,
- Print out the template of choice.
- Colour (where appropriate) and cut out the template pieces. You can cut out template 1 (the doll) or just cut out template 2 and
glue all the pieces onto the full sheet of template 1. It's up
- Glue the doll together in the following order:
- large circle onto the matching circle on the doll.
- head scarf onto the top of the doll.
- bow at the bottom center of the head scarf.
- head overlapping the bow.
- See picture above for further help
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Decorations - choose one:
Template (red & green flower) (color) or
Template (three blue flowers )
Template (dark grey flower)
Print friendly version of these instructions